Hello, hungry ones!
My badass SO is at it again, this time with a basic tomato sauce. Yes, we don’t want those processed sauces anymore! He makes his own so that we know what goes in our food. Tell you what, it’s infinitely times better than what you buy in shops. And no, I’m not saying that because he is my boy! Xxxxx
This sauce is so versatile; you can use it in pizza, in pasta, in moussaka, caldereta, whatever tomato based dish you can think of. Yes, you’re very welcome.
What you need:
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- large bunch fresh basil
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more to serve
- 4 x 400g/14oz cans tomatoes
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- salt and freshly ground pepper
What to do:
- For the basic tomato sauce, thinly slice the garlic and finely chop the basil stalks.
- Heat the oil in a wide saucepan or large frying pan, then add the garlic and basil stalks and sizzle for one minute, without colouring them. Stir in the tomato purée.
- Tip in the tomatoes and mash them with a masher, and sugar, then season with a generous amount of salt and pepper. Simmer for five minutes until the sauce is rich and thick. Stir in the basil leaves just before the end.
- Serve. Use it on pasta, pizza, calzone or wherever you want your tomato sauce!