There is a saying (and I know you’re familiar with this) that goes: Necessity is the mother of invention. Add laziness to it and you’ve got the formula for making an innovative recipe like this Burrito Cabbage Wraps. The story behind it is this: I have made rice the previous day and I didn’t want to waste it so I made garlic fried rice out of it, with black beans as a source of my protein. Tired of having tempeh for protein, and I needed variety too. But I am also bored with just having plain rice on my plate, so I decided to make a burrito instead. Unfortunately, I don’t have my tortilla wraps at this point. My choice was to go to the grocery that’s a kilometre away. Since I don’t have a car and it would mean paying a motorcycle to take me there, or walking under the 12 nn heat, I decided to look for alternatives in my fridge. Lo and behold, something that looks like a paper: cabbage leaves. So I did it, just like that. It provides my daily dose of greens too. So that means hitting two birds with one stone. Yes, I’m very proud of this ingeniousness. Ha!
What you need:
- 1 cup cooked brown rice, preferably garlic fried rice
- 1/4 cup cooked black beans
- 1 tomato, chopped
- Shredded cabbage leaves to include in the filling
- Cabbage leaves for wrapping the whole thing, washed
- salt and pepper to taste
- sour cream
What to do:
1. Mix rice, black beans, tomato and shredded cabbage leaves in one bowl. Add salt and pepper according to taste Set aside.
2. Open a cabbage leaf. Put dollop of sour cream. Add a tablespoon or two of the rice mixture and roll the whole thing like you would a spring roll. Fasten with a toothpick if needed.
3. That’s it. Enjoy! Serve with crisps or corn tortilla if you want! Easy peasy burrito that can be served under five minutes, and it’s wholesome too!