So there has been this fixation on bread making on my part for some time last month (check the cinnamon rolls) and I grew tired of making sweet bread. What can I say, it’s a “too much of a good thing” situation.
I moved on to making savoury bread, this time with another Tinapayan favourite, the Ham and Cheese loaf rolls. Due to hoarding, I can’t locate the loaf pans that we used to have. It’s somewhere deep in the kitchen cabinets, hidden under piles of other bakeware. So I settled on making rolls of my favourite loaf.
My mother made me swear not to put too much ham on it so that she can be “guilt-free” eating it #neurosis, so I did it the Spartan way – less of everything EXCEPT CHEESE because I love cheese, and I substituted butter for coconut milk to make the taste richer.
These rolls are ideal for breakfast together with some scrambled eggs.
What you need:
- 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast (1 packet), room temperature
- 1 cup (240 ml) milk
- 2 tbsp butter and more to spread
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups (408 g) all-purpose flour
- 8 slices of ham, torn
- 2 cups of cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp dried basil leaves
What to do:
- Complete steps 1-4 of this recipe but instead of sprinkling cinnamon, sugar, nuts and marmalade, put ham and cheese (but not all of it, reserve some for the topping).
- Once you’re content with the amount of filling it gets (I even incorporated some ham and basil in the dough itself), roll out the dough into a thin rectangle using a rolling pin. Brush with 3 Tbsp melted butter and top the remaining cheese and basil.
- Starting at one end, tightly roll up the dough. It should look like a jelly roll. Then with a sharp knife, cut the dough into 1.5 – 2-inch sections and put in a well-buttered oven-proof pan. Brush with remaining melted butter. Put in a warm place to let rise again while you preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Once the oven is hot, bake rolls until slightly golden brown (which will take around 15 to 20 minutes). Let cool for a few minutes and then serve. Enjoy!