Hello, hungry ones!
We’re making moussaka today. I don’t know about you but eggplants (aubergines for you, Brit friends) + tomatoes + cheese is synonymous to heaven for me. Oh man, where do I even start?! However, I can’t be bothered with the waiting – you know, oven, roasting – I should be patient, yeah, but when you’re hungry…
What you need:
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 500g minced lamb or minced beef (because I couldn’t find lamb)
- 400g (1 can) diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 200g eggplants, chopped
- 200g feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 tbsp basil, chopped (fresh mint works best though)
What to do:
1. Heat the oil. When it’s heated enough, add the eggplants and cook. This will take about five minutes. Make sure it’s soft and squishy, not chewy. Then add the onions and garlic.
2. Add the meat, and brown it. Then add the tomatoes, cinnamon; season generously with salt and pepper and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
3. Take out from heat and transfer on a serving bowl. Sprinkle the mint and feta over it. Serve it as the feta melts, preferably with bread (pitta works best). Enjoy!