Are you a spicy food fiend? Are you looking for a culinary adventure to impress new friends? Are you interested in the irony of spicy desserts? Or are you looking for a new comfort food? Whatever your reason is, welcome. From life to food, when something becomes boring, we say “it needs a bit more spice”. Thing is, spices are more than that.
While not a famous trick when it comes to desserts, adding spices actually adds depth to your sweet treats. Take the famous salted chocolate for example: I was apprehensive to try “salty chocolate” at first, but when I did, I noticed that the salt actually brought out the chocolate-y taste, which is good news for a chocoholic like me.
Apart from enhancing the flavours you love, spices also bring a healthy dimension to desserts. Often demonised because the sugar “makes you fat”, desserts are often considered a naughty choice. Well, I think it’s time to change that. From reducing inflammation, preventing cancer and raising dopamine levels, spices bring a lot more than taste.
With this in mind, I have compiled a list of delectable spicy treats for you. Like your girl, these desserts are sweet, spicy (and hot!), a little bit naughty and a whole lot of good.
1. When one kind of ginger isn’t enough.
Triple Ginger Snaps. Recipe here.
2. Expand your chipotle horizons to desserts! Vegan and nut-free.
Dark Chocolate Chipotle Fudge. Recipe here.
3. Include dessert when you say “Curry night!”
Butterscotch Pie with Curry Crust. Recipe here.
4. Cupcakes are cute but this cupcake is seriously hot.
Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes. Recipe here.
5. Probably the most delicious irony ever.
Mango Chili Lime Popsicles. Recipe here.
6. Celebrations will get more kooky with this cookie!
Rosemary Cookies. Recipe here.
7. One word: Explosive.
Mexican Brownies. Recipe here.
8. When tea time involves more than the drink.
Chai Tea Cake. Recipe here (video).
9. For something called Diablo, this one is heavenly!
Diablo Cookies. Recipe here.